Oct 9, 2012

Just to not leave everyone completely hanging...

Haha. "I'll post about our latest burger-rating adventure tomorrow, probably, though." Don't you love the lies?

To make a short story long... Since my job at DSST is only temporary and will end in a month, I've been looking for another job I could have after that. Then a couple weeks ago, I had a phone interview at the same place that Chaelomen works to be a pee pourer. It started off by her asking me to tell her about myself, in which I included that I'm studying chemistry at Metro.
"Oh, so you're a student? Do you go full time?"
"Yes. Well, not right now. I'm taking a semester off because I've been going every semester, including summers, for 2 years, and I need a break."
"Ok, but when you go back, you'll be a full time student?"
"Yeah, I will."

And our conversation continued, until she asks me for an example of a time when I had to do [something]. So I told her that at the place I'm currently working, I had to [blah blah blah].
"Great. So why are you leaving your current job?"
"I actually want to keep my current job. It's only part time, I work two shifts a week, so I would hope to be able to have both jobs."
"So you want to work a part time job, a full time job, and someday go to school full time?"
"Yep, that's the plan."
"Hm. I don't think I like that. You wouldn't be able to give your full attention to this job when you're on the clock. So tell me about a time..."

After that, the conversation got kinda awkward. She moved on so quickly from that point, so there was no opportunity for me to justify why this was the case and tell her about how I am capable of working both jobs. The interview was pretty much over, so why bother with the formalities of finishing out the interview, even though she knows right there that she's not going to hire me? Meh. I'm actually ok with it. I wish that I could have worked there, because it should someday be able to go right into my line of work, which would have been nice, but these things happen, and I'm sure I'll find another way in.

But I told that story to my boss, Melissa, maybe two weeks ago. I kinda wanted her to know that I like this job a lot and am looking to stay here long-term. After I was done working that day, she asked me if I was looking for a full time job-- not that it affected my job here at all, she was just curious. I explained that I'm currently living at home with my parents, and I'm hoping to make that not the case anymore. I mean, it's not like living here is bad at all, I just feel like it's time to move on, especially since I lived on my own in China, and now that I'm back, I want to get on with life. I actually found an apartment complex to move into, even. It's a little bit closer to the rec center, and it's only 600/ month, and relatively big for that price. It's in a good neighborhood and everything. I like the pictures of the place, and I drove around the outside and it looks awesome. I really like it, and I'm excited to move in there someday.

At that price, though, I need to make 1800 a month, so I'm not necessarily looking for another full time job, but I am looking for a second job (preferably a day job, but I could make a night job work), and so Melissa, being one of the coolest bosses to ever exist, asked me if I would be interested in her asking around the other full time employees at the rec center and seeing if they need any help in their departments-- so that's like maybe daycare, maybe working at the preschool, lifeguarding  whatever. I said that would be awesome, and she agreed to ask around once she got back from her vacation.

Well 5 days ago, Melissa asked if I would maybe be willing to pick up a couple extra shifts on Saturdays. They don't usually have staff work both Saturday and Sunday, but since I'm looking for more hours and they're a little short on staff members at the moment, they'd love to have me work more. I am actually really free. All the time. Aside from work, I usually don't have any solid plans ever. The only thing I have in the works right now isn't even happening for a month haha. So I agreed, and Melissa wrote me into the shifts for Sat, Sun, Mon, and then I have a couple Tuesdays this month, a Wed, and at least one Fri. She might ask me to pick up the 2nd Fri that we need shifts covered for.

I worked Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and then today. I'll work again on Fri and Sat. So, in my defense, I've actually been working every day since our last burger-rating adventure. And I know I just took a ton of time and words to tell a really long story about why this post isn't about burgers, when I could have just blogged about burgers, but I'm just too lazy. Haha. My camera is way upstairs, and I would have to download the pictures from that. And, to really seal the deal, mine and Sara's burger-rating notebooks are out in my car.

But I promise that since I won't be working tomorrow at the rec center, just at DSST in the morning, I will at least bring in our notebooks tomorrow. And then I'll try really really hard to actually blog about our delicious food tomorrow, as well. But, at the absolute latest, I'll blog about it on Thurs, since I'm completely off that day and have little else to do. I swear!

4 comments:

Susie said...

I wondered how come you'd been working so much at the rec center. But I'm glad for you. :)

Samara said...

Ha. I didn't tell you? So sorry.

Samara said...

Hahaha. "I'll blog about it on Thurs, since I'm completely off that day and have little else to do. I swear!"

I'm such a terrible person.

Berserk said...

LOL

How will we know where to eat?

That's really cool about the extra hours, though.