Oct 15, 2012

Jim's Burger Haven: 3.5 stars

Jim's Burger Haven

I like the vibe. Very 60's. Fun music. The bacon is so crispy :) But people looked at us like we're strange... probably because I was singing and dancing...  There were some nice (though slightly creepy) people there, too. And for some reason that I cannot remember, Sara's notes say, "Twilight zone da na da na." Haha.

Though, to be fair about the creepy people, this place is in Thornton, down off of 88th and Washington.

This was quite a lovely place to eat. I used to pass by it twice a day when I went to school, and I always wanted to try it. We finally did! They have big burgers, and they have small ones, but Sara and I both got small single cheeseburgers, with bacon. We weren't terribly hungry. Then we got a side of fries and a drink. Well, I got the drink. As you can see, Sara has an Amp. I drank a Powerade/Sprite suicide, and when it was about half gone, we added some Amp to that suicide, and it was surprisingly good. And interesting colored. Anyway, back to the food.


 

Freshness: 8, 8
Juiciness: 8, 8
Deliciousness: 9, 8
[Bun-soakage: 1, 1]
Flavor-awesomeness: 8, 9
Uniqueness: 1, 1
Condiment-ratio: 10, 9
[Greasiness: 2, 1]
Appearance: 3, 3
Side-dish deliciousness: 8, 9
Side-dish uniqueness: 3, 3
Price: 9, 10
Fullness-level: 10, 10
[Messiness: 1, 2]

We have found that I do the same thing for the majority of my eating pictures... I'm just trying to concentrate on how well this burger is living up to my dreams!


Sara's first bites are usually more entertaining, though.

So we got in and ordered our food, and it wasn't a terribly long wait. There's fun music and cool things on the wall to keep you entertained. It kinda reminded me of Gunther Toody's, actually. Which is a compliment. I like Gunther Toody's. When we got our food, I was very pleased. I said earlier that I used to always drive past this place, and now that I've finally been, it didn't disappoint. I'll have to remember that when I start up classes again and drive by all the time... That could be a dangerous realization... It was not super greasy, and the condiment ratio was perfect! I didn't have anything dripping out of the end, but you could still taste the condiments. So fantastic. It wasn't messy or anything. And it was a really good price. Sara and I each spent less than $5. If we had gotten the bigger burgers, we would have spent a little more, but I think we're still looking at less than $7. And it was really good.

Honestly, I'm a little sad that it only has 3.5 stars. The things that dragged it down were appearance (haha. Look at my hamburger! It's all crinkly.) and uniqueness. Also side dish uniqueness. They just didn't really have anything special. You could choose if you wanted 1, 2 or 3 patties. You could choose if you wanted them small (4") or large (6"). And you could choose if you wanted bacon added (40 cents for small burgers, 60 for large). That's about the end of the menu. And it was really good, but I don't think I could create a less unique menu. Unless I took off the bacon-option, but that doesn't really make it less unique, just more boring. Bacon is a pretty standard thing to add to your burgers.

The fries were really good, though. Nothing fancy about them, sadly, but side-dish uniqueness got a higher rating because they had something called dino-bites. I have no idea what those are, but they sound pretty unique to me. I'll probably get them someday. We might have gotten them this time if we had seen them on the menu before we ordered. It was pretty good, and I will definitely be back someday. I recommend trying it out.

So Jim's Burger Haven gets an average rating of 7.4 from both me and Sara, giving it a total of about:

9 comments:

Samara said...

Oh, right right. Sara's notes say, "Twilight zone," because whenever we go out to eat, we usually don't get bacon on our hamburgers, but Ally always does. Her favorite at Wendy's is the baconator (which I don't like, because what happened to my vegetables?! Tomato, lettuce... Where are you?) and this time, Sara and I were both like, "Hey look! Bacon! Yum." and Ally didn't even think about adding it until we had all gotten our food and Sara and I pointed out how weird it was that she didn't order it.

Shinobi said...

you might even say removing bacon from the menu would make it more unique, since everywhere else has it.

I bet dino-bites are just chicken nuggets :(

Samara said...

Haha, that's valid. But that's not the kind of uniqueness that I want to reward :)

I thought they might just be chicken nuggets, but then I don't think they really belong in the "side dish" category. Hm...

Anonymous said...

That is not the picture you said you'd use hah. I accept it none the less though.

Samara said...

Haha I decided I'd do the one you liked more :) Be a semi nice person or something.

Anonymous said...

Should have done the one where I'm creepily staring at you lol

Samara said...

Ha I mean, I can switch it if you want.

Berserk said...

I'm not usually that impressed with Jim's. Maybe I should add bacon next time.

Samara said...

Haha. I think the bacon is really what sold us. It was just so crispy and perfect!