Aug 20, 2012

Benefits of Knowing Your Way Around Campus

One of my friends just started college. A while back, while at work, she got desperately lost. It was a hilarious and sad story. And I've totally been there. I've been lost like that. She and I go to school on the same campus, so I cringed with sadness when I read about her going the COMPLETE OPPOSITE DIRECTION from where she needed to go. Especially because, if she had known where she was going, it would have been like a three minute walk.

Thankfully, now that I've been going to school there for a couple years, I know that campus like the back of my hand. So after reading her sad story, I texted her and told her how to get to all of her classes, and I also told her that if she ever gets lost again, she can text or call me and I'll help her. She could describe to me what she sees, and I would be able to tell her where to go. I've done so with mom and dad both before, so it really is something I could do. I could even tell her where some of the bathrooms are in some of the buildings.

[I have to say, this is an exciting thing to be able to offer for help, because I'm the youngest of 6. I've never had anyone who needed my knowledge before, but I've had many siblings help me out. With these exact same problems-- on the exact same campus-- for Chaelomen. So it was exciting to be all big-sister-ly for a little while.]

Today was the first day of class. I, clearly, am not doing classes this semester. At least, I think that's clear... I think I've mentioned it multiple times on this blog. So I had my phone not on silent, that way if she got lost, she could call and I would actually wake up.

So it happened that at 8:30, I indeed got a phone call. It started off just vibrating, which woke me up, and then I started flipping out. Kylee is lost! Kylee is lost! I have to answer the phone! I have to be conscious enough to help her! And MOST IMPORTANTLY, I have to go upstairs where I won't have really shoddy service! I sit up, flailing everywhere, trying to do several things at once. Find phone. Stand up. Get blanket off. Stand up. Find phone!

I end up throwing my phone to the foot of the couch, and once I have it in my possession again, I have to turn to run upstairs and answer before it goes to voice mail! Must help Kylee before she is late for class! And so, of course, instead of keeping a firm grip on it as I turn, I toss it in the air, and it falls between the couch and the wall! Bah! I go diving after it, and when I finally have it in hand, I actually look at the phone (to make sure the battery didn't get disconnected a little bit, which would make the phone turn off and on, and I would lose the call). The phone stayed in tact, but I realize-- I have no idea what number this is.

And I have Kylee's phone number. There's no where else she'd be calling from.

THIS MUST BE A CALL TO OFFER ME A JOB! :D :D

And it was. I started today (just filling out payroll paperwork and getting fingerprints done), and hopefully my boss will email me back soon, telling me when they want me to work next. Because I sure would hate to show up late or not at all to my first day of work. That would be embarrassing. And probably not be so good for the whole "keeping a job" thing.

And so, on my list of things to get done before starting up school again in a year, I have one thing down. :) And progress is being made on the rest of them... mostly.


Side note-- Kylee did text me later, and since I got the phone call, I was already awake and could answer. She wasn't late or lost or anything, but she was concerned about a lack of people in her classroom. What a great day. I hope she enjoyed her first day, as well.

5 comments:

Susie said...

SO SO SO SO SO cool!

(and good description of the phone antics. I could totally see it. :) )

Love you!

Mom

MJ said...

Congratulations!!!! Now, when are we going climbing??? :)

and are you guys kidding about listening to the word verification? Because it was AWFUL.

Carolyn said...

Woo HOO!

Samara said...

Thanks everyone :)

And yes Melissa, it was sarcasm. There really should be a font for that.

Berserk said...

NICE! Congratulations!

....the phone antics were hilarious to read.

And re: word verification... WTH? I must be a robot.