Aug 29, 2012

Well-Qualified.

Last week, since it was the last week before a couple of my friends started school, we decided to go over to Rhonda's house to watch 500 Days of Summer (which I thought was really awesome, btw. And that guy is one of my favorite actors). After it was over, we all sat around talking, and she remembered a couple books she wanted to give to me. They're about autopsies. I'm excited. :)

She also remembered that someone she works for had offered her a teaching job at DSST. She'd be teaching middle school and high school, for somwhere between 45 min and an hour and a half a day. She was all excited to teach this, because the teaching fit in really well between her classes, but then she found out that the place was 40 minutes away from her campus, so she wouldn't actually be able to do it. She then gave me the info and email address of the people I need to contact if I was interested in teaching.

The teaching job at the high school is a Tues/Wed/Fri job from 11:30-12:15, and at the middle school, it's Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri from 3:05-3:45. Unfortunately, I just got my schedule for the next several months at Paul Derda, and it involves working on Monday from 3:45 to 8:15. So... That's not really going to work out if I'd only be done teaching at 3:45 on Mondays. Especially since teaching is out by the airport, and Rec Center is up in Broomfield. Fortunately, you can teach just high school or middle school, and since high school doesn't conflict with anything, that could still work.

I went in yesterday for an interview, and they're really excited to have someone as qualified as me. Haha. I wouldn't have ever considered myself qualified to teach in a high school. But they really like my teaching in China experience, and they love that I'm a chemistry major. It's exciting that they'd like me to do this, though, because I really was hoping to someday be a part time chemistry teacher in high school, and this will give me nice experience, and if I do well, they might actually high me someday as a chem teacher. Yay! I love it when life work out nicely.

All I have to do to be "officially hired" is take their background test, and that certainly won't be a problem. I'll be teaching anatomy/physiology, and it starts next week, and goes until the end of the 2nd full week in Nov. Maybe they'll ask me to stay for the rest of the year? Maybe they'll ask me to come back next year? We'll see. Per day, I get paid about $35. But I'm only teaching 45 minutes a day, so if you figure it out per hour, I get almost $46. Since I'll only be teaching 2 hours and 15 minutes a week, that doesn't equal out to much money total, but hey. How many people can say that, ever, they got paid $46/hr? :) That'll be fun to someday put down on my next job application.

I'm really excited, and super grateful. This time two weeks ago I had no jobs, and now I have two. And they're both jobs that I love, not just cleaning up around Target. But keeping the rock wall together and running. Teaching students, in a real school. I am so lucky.

3 comments:

Shinobi said...

congratulations!!!!

Susie said...

And both of them look AWESOME on a resume. :) Congratultions!

MJ said...

Awesome!!