May 10, 2012

You know I love you, but you might be the death of me.

I'm of course referring to school.

Another semester is finally over! :) I really do love going to school and learning things and understanding a little bit more about the world, but man. I do tend to get burned out toward the end of each semester. The good news, though, is that I lasted way longer this semester than I did the other spring. It wasn't until the last 3 weeks or so of class that I was done this semester (versus the last 3 MONTHS or so back in sp2011 ha), so that's definitely a step in the right direction.

So does everyone remember my time conflict problems with classes this summer? I got it all worked out, sorta. I went in and talked to my calculus professor and asked him if it would be ok if I missed up to, but not necessarily, 20 minutes of class every Monday. He was fine with it, so I filled out a time conflict paper, and got it all signed off by a ton of people. So I'm currently signed up for analytical chem lab-- MW 9:00-12:50-- and calculus 1-- MTR 12:30-2:45.

Unfortunately, the only analytical lecture class that's offered this summer filled up way before I could take it. I may have already mentioned that, I'm unsure. Regardless, I went to the chemistry department and filled out some form online to request another analytical lecture, and additionally, I waitlisted the one they currently have.

Now waitlisting didn't used to be a problem for lecture classes. You would pretty much just chill out in the class, not officially a student in it, until enough people dropped the class that you got absorbed in, and then you pay tuition for it and everything and get officially into the class. But last semester, they changed the rules of waitlisting. So now you have until either the 2nd class or the 2nd week to get absorbed into a class, or else you get dropped from it. The end. You just have to take it some other semester.

So right now with only 3 and half weeks max before I have to get absorbed into this lecture, I'm looking at waitlist position number 7. My odds aren't terrible for getting in, but they could certainly be better (like my o chem classes this fall. I'm number one on both of those, so I'm nearly positive I'll get in). It might be worth it to stick it out and try to get this class, but I'm not actually sure if I want to.

Right now, I'm looking at 9 credit hours this summer if I get the analytical chem lecture class. And I'm just not really sure I want to take that many classes this summer. The reason I had signed up for all of them was so I could take survey of p chem and intro to criminalistics this fall. Those both sound totally awesome and everything, and I'm really excited to take them, but the main reason they were so important to take this fall, was because they were prereqs for some other classes, which if I don't take when I currently plan to take them, I push back my graduation date by a year, easy. Possibly two.

Only my current plans-- the ones that say I have to take 9 credits this summer-- don't account for me taking next spring off to go back to China. And they certainly don't account for me also taking off summer semester because I won't get home from China in time to take classes. So I'm already going to have to push back graduation.

Also this summer, I'm really really hoping to get a job and move out. And that would be so much easier if I only had 1 class to work around for now, especially since it wouldn't require me having to wake up too early (a big plus if I get my dream job of being a waitress at TGI Friday's, which would probably have me working a ton of late nights), and my classes wouldn't go too late. I'd be done and back up in Thornton, ready to go to work by 4.

So, I think I'm going to just take analytical this fall. That leaves the calculus for the summer, and then o chem, analytical chem, and some other currently undecided class(es) for this fall. Much better of an option, in my opinion. And this decision makes today a pretty productive day. I cleaned the bathroom downstairs and it looks really fantastic. And, I finished part 2 of Mistborn (not the 2nd book of the trilogy, just the 2nd part of the first book)! Really intriguing story so far.

2 comments:

Berserk said...

Posts like this make me glad I'm not in college. :)

Samara said...

Haha. Posts like this make me sad I am in college. I just hope I can get a job in the end that will have made this worth it.