Mar 29, 2012

Well, this is a problem...

The summer school schedule is up, and things don't quite work out according to plan.

I need 3 classes. Analytical chem, analytical chem lab, and calculus 1. I need these classes because I've set up my classes for the rest of my college career rather strategically so that everything just barely all fits together. I need analytical so I can take o chem and intro to criminalistics this fall. I need calculus so I can take p chem this fall. I have to take p chem, o chem and intro to criminalistics this fall so that I can take criminalistics 1 (fall only class) the following fall. Everything times out so that with the classes that are only offered in the fall and the classes that are only offered in the spring, I have created an intricate net that will allow me to still graduate in spring 2015.

If I miss one of my classes, everything else crumbles and I have to push back my graduation date by easily a year.

So. Here's my problem. Analytical + lab + calculus don't quite fit together... Here are my possibilities:

Calculus 1: (4 credits)
John Ethier MTR 10:00-12:15
Larry Johnson MTR 12:30-2:45

Analytical Chem: (3 credits)
Michael Jacobs TR 10:00-12:30

Analytical Lab: (2 credits)
Gary Farmer MW 9:00-12:50
Michael Jacobs TR 1:15-5:00

Bonus, all these teachers have very good scores on ratemyprofessor.com. Un-bonus, no combination of classes works out... Unless I'm missing something obvious and some puzzle-lover wants to offer up a solution, but I'm pretty sure I've looked at everything. The best option I have is analytical with Jacobs (obviously. No getting out of that one), calc with Johnson, and lab with Farmer.

That would have me being no more than like 5 minutes late to calc on TR, but up to 20 minutes late to calc on Mondays... Is there any chance that we think Johnson would be ok with that? Perhaps I should go talk to him. If I can just get this summer semester to work out, then-- I already checked-- my fall classes (o chem+lab, p chem+lab, intro to criminalistics) will work out just fine.

Wish me luck...

3 comments:

Shinobi said...

scheduling classes is a pain :( I hope it works out ok!

Samara said...

Thanks, David! I've thought of a couple backup plans, just in case the calc professor says I can't/shouldn't take his class. The one that's most promising is just taking analytical this summer, then buying Calculus for Dummies or something and trying to test out of it so I can still take my fall classes.

Samara said...

Yeah, professor was totally cool with it, as was the head of the department. Now I just need the dean to sign off on it, too.