Jun 1, 2013

Well. College it is, then.

I didn't get the teaching job I applied for. Lame lane. They actually didn't even review my application. I have a feeling that the jobs were posted for technicalities, not because they actually needed more teachers. I think they were probably waiting for some of the current teachers to get back to them for if they wanted to stay another year.

These things happen. It's kinda obnoxious, but at least I have a job now that I like. I'll apply again next year if it's open, and if I don't get it then, I'll just... stop? My praxis score is only good for two years, and I'm not about to dish out another $200 for a job I haven't gotten 2 years running.

As it stands, I'm taking 3 classes this fall. I actually had signed up for 6 classes (sign language, intro to criminalistics, intro to linguistics, a couple psych classes) but then I realized I wanted something a little more relaxed, and I looked at everything I was signed up for. The criminalistics class and its lab were both at really inconvenient times, so I had some weird schedule where I would have really early classes on MW, afternoon classes TR, and big giant gaps between classes everywhere. It was just begging for disaster.

Now all my classes are on MW. I'm taking dynamics of health from 2-3:15, ASL 2 from 3:30-4:45, and intro linguistics after a 45 min dinner break from 5:30-6:45. It should be lovely. That'll go Aug 19th to Dec 14th. And, theoretically, that will still give me enough time to write.

Speaking of, I've been reading a lot so far this summer, which is an exciting thing to say, considering I've only really been done with classes for a week. I finished reading the first three books in The Mortal Instruments. It's pretty good, perhaps a step above Hunger Games. I'm in the middle of Nightingale (72% through or something, actually) and it's interesting, but I have yet to realize what the main conflict of the story is. Unless it's just about Bron discovering his powers and having some girl problems. In which case, this is an incredibly lame book. I trust that it will get better as the series continues.

And then I'm reading a couple non fiction books-- What Every Body is Saying, which is fantastic and I love it, and Million Dollar Outlines, which is also fantastic and I love it. It's definitely helped me become a better outliner, but more than that, it's made me a much more critical reader. I actually have well informed opinions about books and writing in general.

Which leads me to two things. First, one of my friends suggested the possibility of me becoming a book editor, which would mandate that I switch to a linguistics major. I think that might be a kinda cool path. We'll see how this intro linguistics class goes this fall, and then I'll decide from there if I want to keep my major in chemistry or switch it, and from there I'll decide what I'm doing with my life. And second, I want to start a "Mark Reads" type thing.

I know I've explained what Mark does on Mark Reads before, but I'll reiterate here, just in case anyone's forgotten. Mark takes a book and reads it one chapter each day, then writes a review for each  chapter. He does the same thing for TV shows. He picks books he doesn't know anything about, and for that reason, no one can tell him anything about it. No spoilers of any kind. He makes predictions about the books, and it's fun to watch him experience these books fresh.

So I need suggestions! If I do this, I don't think it'll be quite a 1 day=1 chapter thing. Probably a 2 days=1 chapter thing. Maybe a 3 days=1 chapter thing. I'd like to start asap. The only thing is that I need a book to start with. I prefer it's a book that someone who reads my blog regularly has read before. And it needs to be one I haven't read before, and not in a series that I've read before. So comment with your suggestions! Don't tell me anything about the book, though. Just a title and author. If someone else has already suggested the book you want me to read, please please say that. The more of you that have read this book when I start it, the better. Or you're also welcome to read along with me and make predictions as I go.

Should it so happen that all y'all are slackers and don't give me any suggestions, I will probably not do this. I would just pick my own book, but that wouldn't be fun because I wouldn't know if any of you had read it before. And it's actually really fun to be able to read about someone else reading the book. It's kinda like reading it for the first time yourself again. Yes. So what book should I start for Samara Reads?


... Maybe this college path will be fun.

[[UPDATE: I changed the link that Mark Reads goes to, so now it's a post he's written about what he does. It just sums things up nicely and links you to some of his favorite posts he's written.]]

11 comments:

Scooter said...

you should read Divergent. It's a wee bit predictable, and some parts are super lame. Glowing review, right? You should read it.

Berserk said...

The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie. READ IT!

That, or New Spring by Robert Jordan. That one is the prequel to a really looooong series, though! So you'd be in for a long haul with it. And as much as I fell in love with the characters in that series, Abercrombie's books are much more down to earth.

Also, Game of Thrones. George R.R. Martin strikes me as very similar to Joe Abercrombie.

None of these books are predictable or super lame at any time. I scoff at Scooter's glowing review!!!

Berserk said...

*addendum: none of these books are predictable or super lame, but you will occasionally be very angry at the author for letting certain things happen. Or for certain other things not happening. But then there's other times when you won't be, so it balances out.

VERY good books.

Berserk said...

I shall now go continue reading them.

Susie said...

Ghost of opalina. :) and sorry about the job.

Samara said...

Ha. I probably could have guessed most of these suggestions. I think, since I've been meaning to read it for years, I'll start with First Law. Then I'll do Divergent, Ghost of Opalina, and back to New Spring.

That should have me covered for at least a year, I think.

I'll definitely read Song of Ice and Fire at some point, but I think with everything I already know about it, it won't be a Samara Reads thing.

Jessie said...

Linguistics would be an awesome class! You need to tell me how it goes. I loved my language class last year and I'll admit, I totally nerded out while talking to a linguist once. :)

Samara said...

That's fantastic! :) We'll have so much to talk about when you get back from BYU-I!

Susie said...

A year? At the rate you're going, it won't last you three months. :)

Samara said...

Well not a year for The First Law. A year for all the books so far. Probably 3 months for just the first in that trilogy, though.

Scooter said...

haha... @Berserk, I scoff at my review too!