Jun 4, 2013

Rocky Reads The Blade Itself: Predictions.

Before I start the beginnings of this book, can I just say that getting the kindle app on my phone was the worst and best thing I've ever done? I've bought soo many books. Which is awesome! And terrible! It's awesome because, obviously, more books. But it's terrible because it's so easy and cheaper than buying the hard copy, that here I am, I've purchased 7 books in, oh, the past two weeks (6 of those in the past 8 days). It's terrible, really. And awesome. I should probably start using one of the three libraries I have access to.

Anyway. Here's what I know so far about The Blade Itself:
It's the first of the First Law trilogy.
Berserk loves it and recommended it to me years ago.
It's written by Joe Abercrombie.
It's very "down to earth."
Hm... It has lots of words in it.

There you go. I basically know nothing about it. So, that being said, it's time for me to make some predictions.

I predict...
We'll be introduced to the main character in the first chapter.
Someone will be trying to kill the main character by the end of the second chapter.
Five people will die by the end of the book.
The blade that's mentioned in the title will be mentioned in the book by the end of the third chapter.
The main character will need to find the blade before the antagonist does.
There will be a love interest that tries to stop the protagonist from achieving their goal.
For most of the book, the protagonist will be working alone against multiple villians.
The protagonist will trust a lot of people that end up working for the antagonist.
The book will not end on a happy note.

And now, I'm off to go read the first chapter. Or the prologue, if the book has one.
The way this works, after I read it, I'll come back and write my review, which will probably have summaries and will definitely have spoilers. If you've never read this book, you should in theory still be able to follow along with my reviews, but just know that if you then read the book later, you'll already know everything... Just so you're all warned. I'll be back in an hour or two with the first review I have. Yay!

Also, feel free to keep recommending books to me for Rocky Reads. I'll choose the order of them based on how glowing your recommendations are, and even if I start to get a hundred books that I won't have time to do a Rocky Reads for, I will definitely at least still read all the books anyone recommends.


Oh, and I know my blog name is Samara, but my COPE name is Rocky. And Rocky Reads sounds much better in my head than Samara Reads. In case you were wondering where Rocky came from.

3 comments:

Berserk said...

Some of your predictions aren't bad. Some of them are WAY off. :)

Susie said...

Nice teaser, Berserk.

I like the name "Rocky Reads." Makes me think of Rocky and Bullwinkle, though. :) :) :)

When will you read Ghost of Opalina? It's been my favorite book since 7th grade. Although I admit it's juvenile fiction, it has a lot of heart. It's been out of print for years so I don't know if you can get a Kindle edition.

Samara said...

Ha. I can probably guess which predictions are off, at this point.

The book order so far (though it's subject to change) is: The Blade Itself, Before They are Hanged, Last Argument of the Kings, Divergent, Ghost of Opalina, then New Spring.