Jun 11, 2013

My friends are jerks.

So I'm reading Game of Thrones right now as a leisure book. I started reading it once about a year ago, but I don't remember a lot of what I read so I'm starting it over.

My friends all watch Game of Thrones on HBO. They just finished the 3rd season, which goes up to half way through the 3rd book.

One of my friends (the same one who kept telling me about things in Harry Potter that I hadn't gotten to yet) just told me that a very important character dies at the end of the first book! She told me who it was and why they killed him. Which also revealed a big secret about one of the kids in the book.

Why? Why would you do such a thing? I literally stopped reading Harry Potter for 6 months after being spoiled about everyone who dies. I just don't understand why she'd say such a thing and ruin the author's build-up.

Obviously I will eventually find out the secrets. But way to take all the tension and fun out of reading it myself!

I should have known. She's one of those people who reads the first book in a series, then instead of reading the rest of the series, goes to wikipedia and learns the rest of the plot that way. Wtf.

As a future writer or book editor, I really hate that kind of person.

4 comments:

Berserk said...

Mmm. Your friend is a jerk.

If it's any consolation, someone ruined that one for me too. And when it happened, it was still gut-wrenching. Less of a surprise, but no less shocking.

Someone else (accidentally) ruined an equally significant death in the third book for me. But that chapter... wow. The whole time I was reading it, it felt like something wasn't right and something horrible was about to happen. And when it finally did... wow. I'm still disgusted, and I still want to go take revenge personally on the characters who were involved in that particular bit of nastiness.

Point is, although your friend is a jerk, George R.R. Martin is good. The chapters that you already know about will still have impact.

Samara said...

I'm glad to hear it'll still be a good read. I'm sure there's tons and tons more I don't know, but seriously.

When she told me about this character's death and I was surprised to hear he died, she almost looked startled that I didn't know. She almost looked like she regretted telling me he dies.

And so as recompense, she told me why he died. I just don't follow that logic. Haha.

Berserk said...

What? No! That makes it even worse!

Susie said...

Some people can't be trusted with secrets. They revel in the reveal. I guess it's the only way they feel important.