Jun 6, 2013

RR The Blade Itself: Survivors

In The Survivors, Logen is alive! And he needs supplies to continue surviving. Think you're ready? Join me as Rocky reads The Blade Itself.


My, this was a short chapter. Are all of them this short? If so, I might have to step it up and start reading and reviewing two chapters at a time. We'll see.

The Survivors starts off with Logen having survived the fall into the water. He's alive (though a bit beat up), and trying to keep himself that way. To accomplish such, he wants to go up to the mountains where he'll hide out from the Shanka. But, mountains are cold. Especially at this time of year. And Logen will surely die, what with his lack of boots and coat.

He heads back to camp, hoping the Shanka aren't still hanging out there (they aren't) and gathers his boots, coat, and a backpack full of supplies that will be handy. And his pot! The kind for cooking, not the kind for smoking. Deciding that his boys are probably all dead or will be soon, he abandons everything else, naming himself and his pot as the only survivors, and heads for the mountains.

I want to say that his boys are not dead. I mean, they've all got names! Threetrees, Dow, Forley, Grim, and the Dogman. There might be more boys, too, but those are the ones that were named specifically. They can't all be dead, right? Right? I find it likely that as Logen is hiding out in the mountains, he'll run into one of them. I mean, they're probably all trained to survive, and great minds think alike? It's likely enough that Logen will stumble upon at least one of them, isn't it?

I suppose I'll find out tomorrow. There wasn't a whole lot to this chapter. I guess mostly I think that at least one of the boys is still alive because that would drive the plot forward. And I'm a little obsessed with plots moving forward, thanks to that happening oh so terribly slowly in another book that I'm reading.

You have to be realistic. Have to be, however much it hurts.

2 comments:

Berserk said...

One of my favorite parts about Logen as a character is his practicality and absolute grim determination. He just got seriously messed up by the Shanka, fell off a cliff, and is about to cross a mountain range that he's in no way ready to cross. And his solution is to pick up a pot and start going.

Samara said...

Yeah, it's pretty cool. He's a nice character so far. I like something who does something, takes initiative, instead of sitting around waiting for things to happen.