Jul 19, 2012

I'm going to need a few "physical representations of the concept of effort" myself.

Classes are almost over! Just 1 test, 2 classes, and 1 final away!


So now that I can stop focusing so much on this class, my next focus is getting a job.

I applied for a job with a city around here, and they contacted me for an interview. It's to be a Program Facility Supervisor. The job description mentioned belaying people and climbing walls and such, which is why I applied. But it sounds more like I'd be working at a Rec Center, doing all kinds of things, only maybe occasionally working with the climbing wall. That isn't quite what I meant to apply for (I think I thought this was at a climbing gym when I applied). But it still sounds like it would be fun. It would only be a evening/weekend job, 5-10 hours a week.

Also, I intend to go back to TGI Friday's... again. I applied back in January and went back for like 2 or 3 weeks, but then school had started and homework happened, so I stopped going in/calling. Then in May, after the semester ended, I went in again to ask if I needed to refill out an application, or what. And I went back in every week or two after that. I talked to the same lady each time, which is convenient because she's actually the one who's in charge of setting up interviews and everything. She really seemed to like me, and it was really promising. Which is why I kept going back. Until one day, when she wasn't there, so I talked to the general manager, and he told me that they just weren't really hiring right now, but if I come back when the fall semester starts up, there will be students going back to school, and they'll have open spots.

So back I will go! In approximately a week. I will probably also hit up Chili's. Mmm.

For a while, the thought crossed my mind that I would really like to actually work BOTH jobs, Program Facility Supervisor and at TGI Friday's. The more I think about it, though, the more it seems like a bad idea. One I could still potentially make work, but it wouldn't be a good idea.

PFS is an evening/weekend job, and that's pretty much what the host (and someday server) jobs a TGIF's would be. Then I was thinking, with PFS I'm looking at 1, maybe 2, shifts a week. And hopefully 3 or 4 shifts at TGIF's. So if I was scheduled for the same shift, I could just trade away my TGIF's shift. But when I actually stop to think about that, it actually sounds like a really risky (and terrible) move. What if no one could take my shift there? That would not be a desirable thing. I would probably end up being fired from one place.

So, if I get the option between both jobs, I'd probably go with TGIF's, because I could get more hours, so consequently more money. Plus, I think I'd make a pretty fantastic host, and someday a pretty fantastic server. But on the other hand, PFS sounds more impressive for a resume, and I think it would probably have a lot more variety in the job. The thing I'm worried about there is that it said something about swimming, and my swimming skills are super super poor. It's kinda sad, and really funny, to watch me try to swim.
And actually, about my "impressive resume" argument, neither of these jobs are in the field I want to end up in, so maybe it doesn't matter which job looks more impressive? Ha. Maybe.

I guess there's no sense in putting too much thought into it now. I need to see what my options end up being. Maybe I'll get a job at a completely different third party.
For now, it's far too late in the night, and I should go sleep for a bit before taking this test.

In fact, it's so late, I'm kinda glad that blogger is confused and tells everyone the completely wrong time that this blog was posted :)

4 comments:

Kylee said...

You would make an awesome server at TGI Fridays!

Samara said...

Thanks! :) Hopefully they hire me. They should. I've been very persistent.

Susie said...

I would come eat there and leave positive notes for you on the comment cards.

Samara said...

Haha excellent... :)