May 25, 2014

Just some personal values before I get ready for work/church/barbecue.

A couple years ago we made a Personal Creed at church, similar to one that the early prophets had. It's just something we were supposed to say we'd live by, and we got a pretty card to write it on, and I still actually really like mine, so here it is.

  • I would strive to serve others at all times.
  • I would give excess money to programs to help the needy of the world.
  • I would constantly strive to better myself physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
  • I would not force others to abide by me and my standards, but show love to all.
  • I would have courage.
  • I would rely on the Lord for direction in my life.
  • I would never cease to be an example.
  • I would go out of my way to make others feel welcome in my home and life.

And then here's this, just for fun. It's the Dauntless Manifesto (or at least, the parts I don't particularly disagree with).
  • We believe that justice is more important than peace.
  • We believe in freedom from fear, in denying fear the power to influence our decisions.
  • We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
  • We believe in acknowledging fear and the extend to which it rules us.
  • We believe in facing that fear no matter what the cost to our comfort, our happiness, or even our sanity.
  • We believe in shouting for those who can only whisper, in defending those who cannot defend themselves.
  • We believe, not just in bold words, but in bold deeds to match them.
  • We believe that pain and death are better than cowardice and and inaction because we believe in action.
  • We do not believe in living comfortable lives.
  • We do not believe in empty heads, empty mouths, or empty hands.
  • We do not believe that learning to master violence encourages unnecessary violence.
  • We do not believe that we should be allowed to stand idly by.
  • We do not believe that any other virtue is more important than bravery.

No comments: