May 29, 2014

And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me.


I thought about joining the army. It was kinda this on and off thought I had in my head for a long time. It might make me miserable, but I also think I'd like it. A recruiter talked to me once (while I was volunteering for the Veteran's Olympics) and he was asking about my career and telling me about all the cases I could be on if I joined.

But I never did. And it's not because I'm too scared. I'd go face the dangers of being in war every day. I'm still not sure I can place why I never looked into it more. Because war is messed up? I look at my friends who served. They're messed up. And some of them are doing a good job at moving on, and some of them are only doing a good job at pretending to move on, and some of them aren't even doing that.

But I think I could, maybe. But the fact that someone has to... the fact that there's a need for this position to be filled. I think that's wrong.

I appreciate the people who have served and fought for me and their friends and family, for this country and others, for what they think is right and for the opportunity to change. But I wish we weren't asking them to.


A friend of mine from high school was killed yesterday in Afghanistan. RIP Jake.

"This isn't every soldier's story. But it is one soldier's story."

2 comments:

Susie said...

I heard about that. And that he had just been married Christmas time. What a devastation, but a horrible waste of life. I hate war.

Samara said...

Yeah, his wife used to be my visiting teacher. She's so nice. He was a good kid.