Jun 27, 2012

What we know is almost nothing at all.

There are so many things I'd like to do with my life. If I recall correctly, I have already recognized this problem on this blog. And I've definitely told many friends about possible life plans. But I just want to put all my thoughts in one spot.

1- Teach with ILP for the next couple years. I wouldn't just stay in China; I'd also go to Russia and Thailand, hopefully. Maybe make it around to Mexico and Lithuania. I'd just do that for 2-3 years, and then come back home and finish out school and get a job, and probably live in the country on a permanent basis after that.

2- Mentioned in my previous post, take several (4-6) years off school, and go back to China. This plan does not involve teaching with ILP for more than one more semester, two at the max, and then I'd just come home and work, and save up money. Then finish up school.

3- I would consider not taking off school, just going and finishing it up, but still going back to China this next coming spring semester. I would want to keep my chemistry major, but I'd also want to write books in my spare time, which I really believe I have the potential to excel at. It would definitely be just a side thing-- I'd still want to do forsensics.

4- Continue with school now, finish up asap with my chemistry and criminalistics degree, then move to New York (where I assume I wouldn't have an abnormally difficult time finding a job). I'm sure I'd end up living there for a while, then settling down somewhere else. The big difference between this plan and plan number 3 is that this one wouldn't have anything to do with going back to China to teach.

5- Go to school and continue with the degree I have now (China may or may not be an option here) and then get a teaching license, so I can teach chemistry in high school.

6- Merge plans 4 and 5 together, so I can teach and still actually apply my knowledge to the real world. That way, I'd also be specifically going against the "Those who can do, and those who can't teach." Plus, I like to think I'd make a decent teacher.

7- Transfer to BYU for a semester to take Brandon Sanderson's (author of Mistborn, which is quite possibly the best story I've ever read. It haunted me for weeks, literally) creative writing class. There I would hopefully get to learn how he comes up with such amazing stories, and it would help me very much in my plan to write stories. At that point, I would only take one or two classes a semester back here at Metro, until my writing took off and I could accept being a novelist as a career. And if I were to find that I can't make it as a writer (sad), then I would still be in school and I'd just finish that up really quick and turn to plan 3/4 asap.

I realize each of these plans have flaws, but they also each have passion in them. They are each something I aspire, in some part, to fulfill.

They are all also incomplete, just quick descriptions of some way I could see my life going, but there's more behind them. They each also include places to move (because though I love Colorado, I want to move to other places), and traveling is definitely going to be involved in each of them (I love the world. I can't stop exploring it now; I've only just begun).

I am also aware that these plans involve making different amounts of money, or taking longer to go to school, or not graduating at all. But wherever my life goes, as long as I'm doing something I'm happy with, I don't actually care if I make less money. I don't care if I don't have a degree. I will make it work.

Right at the moment, I'm really digging plans number 6 and 7. I am highly considering both of them.

I've got some decisions to make.

5 comments:

MJ said...

I don't think taking a semester or two off is a bad idea, in answer to your question on your last post. Taking years off, though...starting over sucks, and the college degree is the new high school degree. Sucks, but it is. And take it from one who is actually poor, not just being modest, not having money sucks. Qualifying for every available form of government assistance is not fun.

MJ said...

I don't think taking a semester or two off is a bad idea, in answer to your question on your last post. Taking years off, though...starting over sucks, and the college degree is the new high school degree. Sucks, but it is. And take it from one who is actually poor, not just being modest, not having money sucks. Qualifying for every available form of government assistance is not fun.

MJ said...

Stupid phone. Posted twice. Grr

Samara said...

Haha I'll definitely keep that in mind. I would want to make enough money, which might mean needing to get a degree, but if I were to not have a lot of extra money, I'd make it work.

Sarah said...

I say have your adventures while you're young and can! Once you get married and especially when you have kids they get put on the back burner. (totally worth it but true all the same) all of your plans sound pretty awesome though! Keep us posted on what you decide.