Jun 21, 2012

What if I'm such a nerd, I'd miss classes?

You know what I really aspire to do?

To just stop going to school for a couple years and instead work for a while (obviously not in my career) and write stories. And I'd go back to school and get my degree by the time I'm 30. Then I could teach chemistry in high school part time and do my forensic stuff part time, as well.

I've already been going to school for 4 semesters, and I'd start junior status when I started up again. I could have 6 years of freedom, and then spend 2-3 more years at school, and be graduated by the time I'm 28 or 29. 6 years! Think of all the stories I could write. Think of the places I could go and the things I could do. And if I got bored with that life, it's not like school is going anywhere. I could always go back.

Meanwhile, with my job, I could be saving up money to pay for college, and when I finally did go back, it would be 100% because I wanted to be back at school. 100% because I want to go places with my life, instead of doing it because it's what you're supposed to do after high school. Admittedly, that's not the only reason I'm at school now, but it's sure one of them. An increasingly prominent reason.

Just something I've been considering for a few months.

2 comments:

MJ said...

The only downside of that is when you decide to go back to school, you'll have forgotten most of what you learned 6 years earlier, and foolishly try to "start all over", and then give up after a semester or two. Or get engaged after a semester or two.

I vote to keep trudging through school, if you can afford it. Take a semester off when you need to, to travel (China or Maine!), but keep working towards that degree.

Because a bachelor's degree doesn't mean you won't be above the poverty line, but not have a bachelor's pretty much guarantees it.

Samara said...

Hm... What if I compromised and just didn't take classes next semester, then went to China, then started up classes the fall I get back?