Mar 12, 2013

I think I'm having a mid-school crisis.

So I've been thinking recently about my life. I actually wasn't really going to blog about this (it just didn't dawn on me), but then I was looking through some older posts of mine, and there's one where I was talking about how I felt inadequate because I had a couple friends who graduated a semester early, and I didn't. I probably could have, so I should have, yet I didn't. And though I didn't really get a lot of advice on that, I'm hoping all you awesome lovely people who still read my blog will help me out anyway.

At school, I feel like there's this spectrum of classes that people can take. On one side there's the hard sciences, full of facts and right or wrong and true or false, and on the other side there's humanities, full of exceptions to rules and open ended-ness and subjection. I would guess that most people probably find a specific place on this spectrum where their interests lie, and then take classes that fall right around that place. I don't know this as a fact, of course. I don't have any evidence to support or reject it-- not even anecdotal evidence. It's just how I imagine things working in a perfect world.

However, the classes I take tend to fall on opposite ends of this spectrum. I take chem and physics and math, but I also take Chinese and ASL and music. The classes on the hard science end are the ones I need to take, and the classes on the humanities end are the ones that I take for fun. And I feel kinda really conflicted about that? I mean, I really like chemistry. It makes sense to me when explained properly. I have to put a little effort into it-- nothing ridiculous, probably less effort than some other people have to-- but I'm good at it. It makes sense, I remember the rules, I like the order things have. I enjoy being able to learn about how the universe works and explain what it is that makes a ball roll down a hill. I like being able to explain what torque is and why falling at terminal velocity feels oddly similar to standing on the ground. I like learning that you do not add water to acid and how electrons can get excited and release light when they return to their normal state. It's a challenge, but it makes me feel like I'm learning something and growing.

On the other hand, take the foreign languages I've studied. French, Chinese, ASL. I like them a lot, too. They come really naturally to me, and I don't have to put almost any effort into learning them. I continually find myself surprised that the people in my classes there aren't also finding them to be their easiest subjects. I like learning how different languages work together and seeing the similarities and differences between them all. Do the adjectives go before the noun, or after? Is the word order the same as any other language I've taken? How does the pronunciation of letters change from one language to the next? What is the culture like in the places people speak these languages? Where are these languages spoken? What makes France French different from Quebecois? How does the sign change if have my hands palm up instead of palm down? All these languages have rules to them, and there are patterns, but it's also varied. You can say, "That is a small ball," or "The ball is small," without changing too much, but making two different sentences. I like it. It makes me feel connected to the rest of the world. I have considered switching to major in modern languages with French and Italian concentrations. Except what in the world would I do with that?

Actually, the "what would I do with that" problem isn't really the problem. I know if I love something, no matter how remote it is, I can find something to do with it. And then I'll be happy and blah blah blah. The thing is, I love chemistry and it's already what I'm doing (granted, I haven't really gotten all that far into the program, but I love it) and I really really like the end result there. I want to go into forensics. I really enjoyed the ride along I did with the crime lab, even with how "lame" of a call we got. But I also really like the humanities classes I take. They're typically my favorites. I enjoy going to ASL more than I enjoy going to chem.

Especially recently. I said that chem makes sense when explained properly, but I haven't met a great deal of people who can explain in properly (I can think of 2 people). And if it has to be taught to me by someone specific, then is it really something that I'm that good at? Part of me says yes, it doesn't matter who you learn it from, as long as you learn it, but another part of me insists that it's not the same if I can't learn equally from many people. We're not talking about a slight preference for a certain type of teacher, we're talking about an inability to understand unless presented in a certain way.

So why not change majors? If I like the humanities classes more, I should theoretically like a life in humanities more than I'd like a life in forensics, right?

The problem is I feel like if I were to switch, I'd be copping out. You know? I mean, to me, chemistry is the more difficult of the two. It's not one that everyone can do. Some people just don't get it. And since I do, and I like it, I should pursue that, right? If I like it and I get it, I should take advantage of that. Modern language is easier for me, and I guess it's not easy for everyone (a difficult concept for me to understand), but since it's so easy, it's almost like I'm not really learning. Right? Like it doesn't present a proper challenge, so it'd be a waste of my abilities-- especially if I choose to do this after already doing chemistry. It's like I was doing chemistry, and it became too hard for me, so I had to do something easier. If I change now, then I must not be as good as I previously thought I was, because I couldn't handle a chem degree.

And I don't think that it's true that I can't handle a chem degree. I think I totally can. But I think I would have a lower GPA than if I had a modern language degree. Not a bad GPA, but I think we're talking about the difference between a 3.2 and a 3.9. But people wouldn't actually know that. They'd just know I switched from something hard to something easier.

Also, whenever people are like, "What are you studying?" I say, "Chemistry with a criminalistics concentration and a minor in psychology," and they're like, "Wow, you must be really smart!" which is an awkward thing to hear, but I like it anyway. I mean this is the most humble way I can say it haha, but I am pretty smart, and I'm glad that what I'm doing shows that. If I changed and people were like, "What are you studying?" and I said, "Modern languages with concentrations in French and Italian," they'd probably respond with, "Oh, that's really interesting!" which would still be a good response, but it doesn't showcase my abilities. Like it's not obvious that I have a brain if that's all I'm doing. It's still cool, but it's not up to par.

And what would I do with that? Probably nothing specifically, besides be cool. I'd probably go with life plan number 7 and become a writer (minus the transfer to BYU for a semester... probably).

I guess my problem is that I kinda want to pursue this new path, but I don't feel like it's good enough. I feel like I should do better. And I either want someone to convince me that I still want to be on the path I'm on, or I want someone to convince me that this new path is just as good of a choice as what I'm doing now, if not better. That might all be a tall order, but I need help. I'm stuck. D:

5 comments:

Kylee said...

I switched from nursing to creative writing at the last minute. I know I could have handled the nursing classes and such, I'd just have to put a WHOLe lot more work into it. I loved learning calc and knowing that I know what torque and stuff is. But the more and more I take my writing classes, the more that I'm glad I made the switch. It's just who I am.

But then, at times I absolutely HATE my english classes, and love my hard science ones. I think that there's times that we hate what we love, and that we struggle with it. I don't think it's copping out to switch from Chem to languages at all, but that's just me.

Shinobi said...

I think there are a few things to consider. First, there is nothing wrong with taking a bunch of classes for fun while you are taking other classes for your major. I seem to recall someone who took a lot of language classes while getting a degree in Computer Science. It probably took longer to finish my major, but I did finish it, and I enjoyed all the side classes I took along the way. If I had been completely focused on my major the entire time, I don't know if I would have enjoyed the whole experience as much. Taking Korean and Japanese were good ways to not get stuck thinking of computer stuff all the time.

Second, foreign language classes, from my experience, are really fun at the beginning, but once you are getting up to the levels of classes that you need for a major, they also become less fun and more work. Part of that comes from not getting the kind of exposure to the language that will really make it stick forever by just taking classes. My Korean classes where like that. Because I never lived anywhere where I had to use Korean, when I got to the high level classes, I would need to spend a lot of time doing class/home work because I wasn't as used to reading/speaking Korean as other people were. That might not be as much of an issue with non-Asian languages, since they tend to be more difficult to get used to reading. On the other hand, my German classes in college turned out to be really boring to me because I already knew the language well enough that I didn't feel like I was learning anything new, just practicing a lot of stuff I already knew.

I wouldn't want to go back and tell myself to take fewer Korean classes or anything like that. If anything, I would tell myself to practice reading and speaking more. In fact, I should tell myself that now with Korean and Japanese. :) I guess mostly what I am saying is that I'm glad I stuck with Computer Science and I'm glad I took a lot of Korean and Japanese classes. Even though sometimes I feel like I've forgotten most of those languages, I still have my books for the classes and I'm sure that when I make the time to go through them, I'll be able to re-teach myself all that I don't quite remember. It's almost like because I kept my major, the language classes stayed fun. In fact, when I started looking at what I would need to do to get a double major or minor in Korean, that's about the time it started to feel more like work, and I switched to Japanese.

Susie said...

I think that one test for the future you is to find something you love so much you would do for free, and find a way to get paid for it. (A very wise woman told me this.)

You loved the ride along even though you didn't get a "juicy" call, and you wanted to schedule another one. Is there a way to combine your love of languages with your current career path? Jason has used quite a bit of Spanish on the job...

Whatever you decide, give it your best and try not to worry too much about what others think. You may think, for instance, that people aren't as impressed with the languages, but that's because they come easy to you. (At least at the levels you have taken. I took some 400 level Spanish classes in college and they were not fun at all, even though I loved the language.)

Love you!

Mom

Samara said...

Thanks guys. I think if I switch it will be to linguistics which is more of a scientific study of languages, and then a double minor in psychology and criminalistics. For now, though, I'm actually trying to get a job teaching English so I can make more money and if that pans out, then I have a couple years to decide if I want to switch majors or not.

Berserk said...

I say take your time deciding, but I think it's a good thing that you're taking classes that are so far on both ends of your science v. humanities spectrum. It's good to see the world from both angles.