Dec 9, 2012

Well, tough.

Haha. I was reading blogs just now (because what else would you be doing when it's two in the morning and you work tomorrow? I mean, I already looked at my schedule for next semester again and tried to figure out where all my classes are), and I think my favorite quote so far is:

Hey, ever wanted to see a duck with human feet that only walks backwards?

Well, tough. You're going to see one anyway.

And then the picture, but I don't actually want to save it to my computer, so everyone has to settle for a link instead. Here's the whole post if you want some context.


Speaking of working in the morning, I love my job still. It's awesome. I especially love teaching climbing 101, which I don't get to do very often. It's just a class that people sign up for so they can learn how to belay, and we offer it every Thursday from 7-9. But I don't teach it then, Adam does. I only get to teach the climbing 101 class when it's part of another class I'm doing, like the parent/tot class on Saturdays or women's climbing if enough girls sign up for that.

Even though I don't teach it often, I like to, and I'm pretty good at it. In fact, the parent/tot class we have runs for one month at a time (only three weeks this month because of Christmas) and it just started last week. The basic layout is on week one of the class, we only have the parent show up and go over all the climbing 101 material, then for the rest of the weeks, the parents bring their kids and we play games. So last week, I had 3 dads (out of 4 possible parents, but I didn't think the last parent would show up) all come and take my class, and they were all cool and excited about learning things. One of them was already belay certified, but he still enjoyed the class because he got to learn a lot of new information about why we belay like this and not that, why this is important but that doesn't matter, etc.

This particular dad was so impressed with my knowledge and how I presented everything and just that class in general that he told me today, "You know, I've been thinking about it all week, and you really did a good job instructing the class last week."

It was so cool! I'm usually told that the class was really good, and thanks for teaching and all, but usually only immediately after the information is presented, or if one of my students comes back with a friend and they're introducing us. This was even cooler though, because it was a full week later, and nothing really brought it up, he just wanted to tell me that I'm a good teacher. :) Love it. I have an awesome job.

Oh, and even cooler, my boss is hoping to give me the Thursday shift, which means I can start teaching climbing 101 every week! Yay! And then I'll have my Saturday shift, which will include the parent/tot class, and that's it for the week. I'll have Sundays off again! And still get in at least 10 hours a week! Hopefully the base schedule that she set up for everyone will work out, and I can officially just have those two shifts a week. I would be so happy.

2 comments:

Berserk said...

Whenever I get around to climbing, I might need a refresher course...

Samara said...

Well I think they're really fun to teach. And the people who take it with me always think it's an interesting class. I wasn't terribly interested when I took it, but I wasn't much of a climber then. If I had been, it probably would have been cooler.

At my rec center, it's 26 dollars, and you get a free pass to come back and get in for free (and theoretically you would do your belay cert then, but you don't have to). I'm not sure what the rate would be at other climbing places, but it might be worth looking into.